Visit Us On TwitterVisit Us On FacebookVisit Us On Instagram

Foodie, Chef & Mama of a little

Clean Eating Update

So I surpassed my 30 day challenge by another 20+ days.  I have not done my insanity max in 2 weeks due to getting sick and then recouping.

I am going to  start again tomorrow.

My journey through eating a Paleo-ish lifestyle has been ever-changing.  I have a lost 11 pounds to date and feel way more energetic and happy about my body, although this was not my main goal or purpose of this challenge, it is definitely a benefit that I will be pursuing.   I started this journey to see if my diet was actually effecting the way my body was operating–gluten, dairy, alcohol etc.  For the most part I was a healthy eater–no take out meals, always cooked my own meals, not processed, but I still did not feel 100%.  I talked about my struggle with my Thyroid earlier last month and I was looking to see if by eating clean would change my #’s towards my health “lifelong diagnosis”.  After the 35 days I got my blood taken, went to the doctor and it was confirmed that, yes I cannot be med free, however in the first time in 1.5 years my levels were normal and I did not have to be seen for another 6 months…This was so exciting I actual became ok with not eating my all time favourite food C H E E S E…not to say I will NEVER eat it again, I have cut it out extremely.

I feel more organized and productive (on a good day..who are we kidding right).  The “RULES” I followed were, no dairy, legumes, processed food, gluten–at first I was terrified by this..but I eventually overcame this fear and embraced it.Even as a chef of 10 years I did not really understand or appreciate the full effect food gives us.  The flavours, energy and endless possibilities of ideas.  This a lone has really changed my thought process when it comes to the purchases I make when shopping.

The main things I have learned through my challenge are as follows:

  1. Be realistic
  2. Be true to yourself
  3. Organize, organize, organize your life (we started by cleaning our cupboards and fridge–then making a shopping list of everything we “thought” we would need–this really helped out).
  4. Do your research before you commit
  5. Create your own plan that fits with your lifestyle
  6. Develop a “Snack Basket”

Paleo is not for everyone…However some form of it may be…I am a real person, working 40+ hours a week with other activities in my life, it takes a lot of preparation to get started.  I first went out and purchased 2 cookbooks (listed in my cook book post).  With the books and other blogs it helped me piece together what I wanted to accomplish out of this challenge for myself.  I did a lot of reading about the WHOLE 30 and PALEO the advantages and disadvantages…read a lot of comments & discussions about whether popcorn, quinoa, oats, peanut butter, butter, white potatoes, etc. were considered in the Paleo or in the DO NOT EVER CONSUME AGAIN list.  Ultimately it goes back to point number 1, or some call the 80:20 rule….meaning stick to something 80% of the time while letting your “fun side–the remaining 20% take a break–for example, indulge–have a glass of wine, cheese, bun–you will survive…..however the longer your eat clean…the more you will start to crave meat, vegetables, smoothies, nuts etc.

I feel that it is all about S M A R T choices.  Shopping in the grocery store, market, speciality food section, organic section, farmers market, road side stop all can be over whelming.  I found it easiest to shop knowing what I was looking for.  I chose all vegetables except, Legumes and White Potatoes.  All fruit (citrus, berries, banana, apples), meat (Chicken, Pork, Turkey, Beef, Veal, Lamb and seafood (Salmon, Trout, Tuna, Crab), Cashews, Almonds, Pecans, Walnuts, Macadamia Nuts, Coconut, Coconut Oil, Grass Fed Butter and so on.  After the 30 days I incorporated rice based pasta or noodles and Brown Whole Grain Rice, Quinoa.

We (my husband and I) have found eating this way that: our shopping time has become more creative, enjoyable and social.  Our time in the kitchen together has strengthen our enjoyment of cooking with each other instead of just for each other.  We stay F U L L a lot longer.

I look at some of these sites and they give you a day by day, meal by meal plan..I have to admit when I first was researching I printed one of these 21 day plans out…I think I made it to day Two, before I made my own plan.  I feel that this is a very important part to be successful.  Yes, I can give you list of food I buy….however I went in it with the thought of I am going to buy Vegetables, Fruit, Meat and I am going to eat when I am hungry…I will make a snack basket and ensure I eat Breakfast everyday. I also increased my water H2O intake to approx. 100 oz a day.

Stay tuned for more updates.

 



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *